Fun in the Sun: Gluten Free
Today, my husband took off work a few hours early and we headed to the beach with our little girls. We live fairly close to the North Sea and can cycle there in less than half an hour. It is great for us to arrive at 4pm when everyone else is heading home. It is not as hot or as busy. We bring along a picnic in an insulated tote bag, eat dinner at the beach, and add a fun memory to an otherwise typical week.
So, what did I bring along today to eat? Well, what I planned to bring and what I brought are two different things. I oftentimes have lofty ideas of making several things, but either run out of time or out of steam. Today I took a nap after lunch with the girls. Such a luxury.
In our picnic basket:
What was on my wishlist:
- Gluten free pita for me and Turkish bread for the others
- Chilled white wine
It was not a luxurious picnic by any stretch of the imagination. So we stopped for ice cream on the way home. Our ice cream shop serves prosecco so I had that for dessert.
Ideas for next time:
- Trail mix with nuts & raisins
- Gluten free pasta salad - I would use Albert Heijn has a new gluten free ravioli instead and skip the spinach
- Haribo gummy candy - not exactly healthy, but its gluten free & a crowd pleaser
- Air popped popcorn
- Baked sweet potatoes with our favorite toppings
- Fruit salad
- Corn tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole